Top 7 Suggestions for Following a WFPB Diet
My top 7 suggestions for what makes following a whole-foods, plant-based diet 100%, 100% of the time, easier:
7. Make your own health and wellness your first priority. There is no part of your life that will not be made better by your success. You deserve the same degree of attention to your well-being that you would give to someone else, including your family. And the example you set for others will do nothing less than save the world.
6. Clean the crap out of your kitchen and don’t let it back in. THROW IT AWAY. If you have family members who are not following this plan, sequester their food in cabinets away from all of your food.
5. Create the simplest meal plans you can, or pay someone to do it for you. The faster and easier it is to prepare your meals, the more likely you are to abide by them. They do not have to be fancy. Beans + brown rice + greens makes a meal. Similarly…
4. Make a grocery list and stick to it. Buy only what you need. Go into the store, go to the items that are on your list, and go to the checkout. Do not put off getting groceries; always take the earliest opportunity to stock your larder. Do everything you can to decrease the amount of trouble it is to eat meals that are consistent with this way of eating: whole-foods, plant-based, no oil, minimal salt and sugar. If you tell yourself that you can stop at the store on your way home from work tomorrow, to buy tomorrow’s dinner ingredients… well, you know where this story is going, don’t you?
3. Batch cooking ahead of time so that you can throw a meal together in 5 minutes is incredibly helpful. Make piles of potatoes and other root vegetable. Chop vegetables for use during the week. Make oats ahead of time. Build salads in quart-sized jars. Make salad dressing. Wash and clean greens in huge quantities. Always be able to throw together simple, easy meals.
2. Always try to eat greens in a volume equal to all of the other food that you consume.
And the #1, most important way to make 100% easier is…
1. Do it 100%! This really is so, so much easier on yourself if you don’t get into little bits of this and that, which lead to wholesale binges. If you are telling yourself that you are doing this 99%, you are not being honest with yourself. If you are keeping some exception in the back of your mind (Thanksgiving, birthday, out with friends, once a week, once a month, once a year) then you are setting yourself up for failure. DON’T DO IT. You are worth so much more than that.